Friday, August 24, 2007

What other style gyro would you want?


The best gyros come from an old Long John Silver's, ya know? Gallatin Pike's very own Chicago Style Gyros has totally turned me out.

Before I ever started eating gyros on a regular basis, I thought a gyro was a gyro and wouldn't vary too much from place to place. Since I've gotten hooked, Chicago Style, the others just can't compare. Now I notice the difference in the seasoning of the meat, and don't even get me started on the horrible iceberg lettuce "salads" other places give you with their gyro plates. Ugh! Chicago Style Gyros provides nice salads with lettuce not simply made of water, cucumbers, olives, feta and tomato. The hummus is excellent and nicely garnished with paprika and parsley, and the menu offers other standards such as stuffed grape leaves and baklava in addition to a few "western" items like philly steak sandwiches, fries and cheese sticks. The prices are very reasonable, and for me (believe me, I can eat!), the plate dishes can be stretched into two meals, making them that much more budget friendly.

This place also has a very personable staff, especially once you've become a bit of a regular. My dog has occasionally received surprising amounts of chicken in the drive-thru, which is very sweet and endearing. They used to have a tip line on their charge slips, which I detest at places where a)you don't get waited on and b)the staff is not on a serving wage. However, I would tip since I really like these guys and go there a lot. One day they started telling me not to tip, but I'd ignore them. Eventually I realized they had not been charging my tips when I balanced my checkbook, and soon there was no longer any line encouraging tips on their charge slips. I wish more owners of coffee and bread shops, etc. would be this conscientious, 'cause you know when you don't drop a tip in the jar at those place the workers think you're an asshole even though all they did was just pour me a cup of coffee and take my precious money. The real work is sweetening and creaming it, and I have to do that! Anyway, too ranty? Sorry, I'll move on (I was just so impressed by that).

What I like to get: In a recent effort to eat "healthier", I started getting the chicken plate ( I don't know if this is actually healthier, but whatevs). Let me tell ya, at first I felt like I was depriving myself, but now I am absolutely hooked on it. I splurged and got the gyro plate once in all this, but I really missed that tasty skewered chicken! Not that the gyro meat is bad - it really is quite excellent, personally, I've just grown to prefer the chicken . I recommend getting some tabouli and sprinkling it on top of your meat and rice plate. I asked the nice gentlemen that work there if it was completely unconventional to use this salad as a condiment, and they very politely avoiding telling me "No, stupid American!" It really is yummy though, and I am working my way up to eating tabouli the proper, respectable way. Next, I'm gonna get a little experimental and try the stuffed eggplant and stuffed cabbage.

Visit the nice guys at Chicago Style Gyros, 2804 Gallatin Pike by McDonald's. They're open every day 10:30am - 9:00pm.



No comments: